SOR/2014-10 January 29, 2014
CANADA AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS ACT
P.C. 2014-20 January 28, 2014
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, pursuant to section 32 (see footnote a) of the Canada Agricultural Products Act (see footnote b), makes the annexed Icewine Regulations.
Definition of “wine”
1. In these Regulations, “wine” means an alcoholic beverage that meets the standard for wine prescribed by section B.02.100 of the Food and Drug Regulations.
Icewine, ice wine or ice-wine
2. Only wine that is made exclusively from grapes naturally frozen on the vine is “icewine”, “ice wine” or “ice-wine”.
Production in Canada
3. It is prohibited for any person to label a product produced in Canada with the designation “icewine”, “ice wine” or “ice-wine” unless the product meets the standard set out in section 2 and an entity acting under the authority of the law of the province in which the product was made has determined that the product is wine that was made exclusively from grapes naturally frozen on the vine.
4. It is prohibited for any person to import a product that is labelled with the designation “icewine”, “ice wine” or “ice-wine” unless the product meets the standard set out in section 2.
Designation includes similar words
5. For the purposes of sections 3 and 4, the designation “icewine”, “ice wine” or “ice-wine” includes similar words, as well as abbreviations of, symbols for and phonetic renderings of those words.
COMING INTO FORCE
6. These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
N.B. The Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement for these Regulations appears following SOR/2014-8, Regulations Amending the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Regulations.