Vol. 150, No. 14 — July 13, 2016
SOR/2016-195 June 22, 2016
CANADA CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY ACT
Regulations Amending the Toys Regulations
P.C. 2016-622 June 21, 2016
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, pursuant to section 37 of the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (see footnote a), makes the annexed Regulations Amending the Toys Regulations.
Regulations Amending the Toys Regulations
1 Section 2 of the Toys Regulations (see footnote 1) and the heading before it are repealed.
2 Subsection 7(1) of the Regulations is replaced by the following:
(1) A toy that is or is likely to be used by a child of less than three years of age must not contain a part or component that is meant to be separable or may become separated with reasonably foreseeable use of the toy and that can be totally enclosed in the small parts cylinder illustrated in Schedule 1 using a force of not more than 4.45 N.
3 Paragraphs 23(b) and (c) of the Regulations are replaced by the following:
- (b) a compound of antimony, arsenic, cadmium, selenium or barium if more than 0.1% w/w of the compound dissolves in 5% hydrochloric acid after being stirred for 10 minutes at 20°C (68°F); or
- (c) a compound of mercury.
4 Section 30 of the Regulations is replaced by the following:
30 The squeaker, reed, valve or other similar device of a doll, plush toy or soft toy that can be totally enclosed in the small parts cylinder illustrated in Schedule 1, using a force of not more than 4.45 N, must be attached in such a way that it cannot come loose with reasonably foreseeable use of the toy.
5 (1) Subsection 32(1) of the Regulations is replaced by the following:
Flammability of outer covering
(1) The outer covering of a doll, plush toy or soft toy that is made of flat or raised fibre textile material or natural fur must, when tested in accordance with Schedule 5, have a flame spread time greater than seven seconds.
(2) Subsection 32(2) of the French version of the Regulations is replaced by the following:
Exception — poils de moins de 51 mm
(2) Le paragraphe (1) ne s’applique pas au recouvrement dont la longueur des poils à découvert est inférieure à 51 mm (2 pouces) et qui, en raison de sa petite taille, ne permet pas qu’en soit prélevé assez de tissu, les coutures comprises, pour fournir un des échantillons requis pour la mise à l’essai prévue à l’annexe 5.
(3) The portion of subsection 32(3) of the Regulations before paragraph (a) is replaced by the following:
Exception — pile of 51 mm or more
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to an outer covering whose exposed pile length is 51 mm (2 inches) or more and whose small size prevents the removal of material, including any seam, that is sufficient for at least one of the specimens required for the test set out in Schedule 5. The outer covering must not ignite on a one-second impingement of the calibrated flame applied by the flammability tester described in section 1 of Schedule 6 or must self-extinguish within two seconds following the removal of the flame, after being subjected to all of the following procedures:
(4) Paragraphs 32(3)(a) to (d) of the French version of the Regulations is replaced by the following:
- a) si le recouvrement a un apprêt ignifuge ou s’il y a lieu de croire, au terme d’un essai préalable, qu’il a un tel apprêt, il est soumis au procédé de blanchissage prévu à l’article 5 de l’annexe 7;
- b) il est soumis au séchage dans un four durant trente minutes à 105 °C (221 °F) ou durant cent vingt minutes à 75 °C (167 °F);
- c) il est retiré du four;
- d) il est placé dans un dessiccateur au-dessus d’un déshydratant, tel le chlorure de calcium anhydre, et y demeure durant quinze minutes ou, dans le cas où il n’est pas refroidi, jusqu’à ce qu’il le soit, sans cependant dépasser deux heures.
6 The portion of subsection 33(1) of the Regulations before paragraph (a) is replaced by the following:
Flammability of yarn
(1) The exposed surface of a doll, plush toy or soft toy that is made of spun staple yarn or bulked continuous filament yarn must have a flame spread time greater than seven seconds in either of the following tests:
7 Section 34 of the Regulations is replaced by the following:
Flammability of hair or mane
34 The hair or mane, or simulated hair or simulated mane, of a doll, plush toy or soft toy, that is made of material other than yarn referred to in subsection 33(1), must not ignite on a one-second impingement of the calibrated flame applied by the flammability tester described in section 1 of Schedule 6 or must self-extinguish within two seconds following the removal of the flame, after being subjected to all of the following procedures:
- (a) if it is known to have a flame-retarding finish or if preliminary testing indicates that a flame-retarding finish may be present, it is laundered in accordance with section 5 of Schedule 7;
- (b) it is dried in an oven for 30 minutes at 105°C (221°F) or for 120 minutes at 75°C (167°F);
- (c) it is removed from the oven; and
- (d) it is placed until cool in a desiccator over a desiccant such as anhydrous calcium chloride for at least 15 minutes and not more than two hours.
8 Schedule 1 to the Regulations is replaced by the Schedule 1 set out in the schedule to these Regulations.
Coming into Force
9 These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
(Subsection 7(1) and section 30)
Small Parts Cylinder
N.B. The Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement for these Regulations appears following SOR/2016-164, Asbestos Products Regulations.